We use Sitecore 8.2 update 3 and we do not have xDB license and mongo db, however in one of the modules we need to use geo IP which requires having xDB.TrackingEnabled = true. Can this be achieved without mongo and what are the implications of removing tracking Connection Strings? I cannot find anything about this in the documentation.
When Xdb.Tracking.Enabled is set to true and have xDB disabled:
- Contacts cannot be identified immediately, and any data gathered from the contact is discarded at the end of the session.
- You can use personalization rules for contact facets and segmentation.
- IP Geolocation services are available.
- Engagement plan processing occurs for the live session.
- Contact repositories are available for the session, and outcomes that are triggered during the session are registered.
So: You don't need the xdb connection strings (to mongo). You don't need Mongo databases or a xdb license. You should disable xdb and enable tracking. That way you can use GeoIP.