We have a custom workflow action where the process method can sometimes take a significant amount of time. This causes the browser to hang and sometimes show a browser waiting message.
I am looking for recommendations on how to implement an asynchronous workflow process. I am thinking something like the following:
- Custom Workflow Action is triggered
- Custom Action triggers asynchronous call to perform processing.
- Custom Action moves workflow state to "Processing" state.
- Completion of asynchronous call moves workflow state to next state after processing.
- A custom workflow button for processing state would run ajax calls in the background checking to see if state has been updated. Once update, it would reload the work flow section. I am not sure how I would accomplish this last block.
Anyone have any recommendations for this kind of flow?