I'd like to use Algolia (a cloud-based search provider) for building my search indexes instead of using SOLR. Is that possible? How could I get started?
Have you checked out the custom search provider for Algolia here?
There is no built in search provider / functionality for Algolia as oppose to Lucene / Solr / Azure Search.
To support Algolia as search provider you would need to have these functionalities:
- Create / Update Index or shortly indexing
- Search capabilities
Can be achieved using repository mentioned already by Michael in his answer for Sitecore 7-8.x -> https://github.com/dharnitski/Sitecore.Algolia
For Sitecore 9.1+ you can use my fork of that repository -> https://tothecore.sk/2019/05/21/algolia-index-provider-for-sitecore-9-1
I have made there some significant changes:
- .NET Target Framework bumped to 4.7.2
- Sitecore referenced nuget packages bumped to Sitecore 9.1 versions
- Removed completely Algolia.Search project and replaced it with 5.2.1 version of Algolia.Search nuget which makes solution much simpler and future proof; I have used version 5.2.1 as it's the last to use Newtonsoft.JSON 11.0.2 so same as Sitecore 9.1 uses not to have version conflicts
- Removed switches for old Sitecore 8 versions as needed for Sitecore 9.1
They have implementations available for various JS libraries / frameworks like Angular, React, Vue, ...
You can also use their c# api client for searching -> https://www.algolia.com/doc/api-client/getting-started/install/csharp/