There are two ways to get Sitecore on Azure deployed in Azure PaaS.
- Using custom built ARM Templates (See blogs suggested by Dmytro in Question comments)
- Installing from Azure Marketplace (the focus of this answer)
Installing Sitecore 8.2 Update-1 Azure PaaS from Marketplace
The easiest and fastest method for getting Sitecore 8.2 Update-1 up and running in Azure PaaS is to install it from the Azure Marketplace.
- Doing a search on the Azure Marketplace for sitecore will reveal the Sitecore option.
- Press Next and then fill out the handful of variables (usernames, instance names, passwords, etc.)
- Provide a Sitecore license. (Required. Can be client or partner license)
- Setup takes about 25 minutes to complete Azure deployment.
Once Deployment is Complete
Once the Azure Deployment is complete, a series of items in the Resource Group will be created for you:
- 1 Content Delivery WebApp (Including the App Service)
- 1 Content Management WebApp (Including the App Service)
- 1 Instance of Azure Search WebApp
- Out of the "box", Sitecore on Azure PaaS comes preconfigured with Azure Search as the default search index mechanism. SOLR can be used instead through configuration change if you'd like to use SOLR instead. Lucene is NOT available as an indexing option when using Azure WebApps.
- 1 Instance of Redis Cache WebApp
- This is used for Session Management
- 2 Instances of Azure SQL Server (PaaS)
- One for CM Role, and One for CD Role
- CM Role SQL Server contains Master and Core
- CD Role SQL Server contains Web
- Application Insights for the Solution
Things to Know
- xDB is disabled by default in the Sitecore on Azure PaaS WebApp deployment for Sitecore 8.2. Update-1.
- If you want to use xDB, you must bring your own MongoDB, either through using a Virtual Machine added to the resource group, ObjectRocket, or some other hosted MongoDB solution.
- xDB Cloud Support is not currently supported (as of the time of this answer). Slated for Q1/Q2 2017 release.
- Sitecore Product Module Support coming soon.
- Currently SxA, ExM, PxM, and xDB Cloud are not supported on Azure WebApp Azure Marketplace deployment. Most modules will be updated sometime in the 2017 timeframe.
- If you need to use any one of these modules, you will need to use Azure IaaS VM or Cloud Services deployment until PaaS support is released.
- The old Azure Module, affectionately known as Sitecore Azure has been discontinued as of Sitecore 8.2 and will not be supported. Using custom ARM Templates to deploy a custom solution or the Azure Marketplace to deploy is the way going forward to have Sitecore on Azure PaaS.
Available Sitecore Configurations
Currently, only xM1 is available through Azure Marketplace as of the release of Sitecore 8.2 Update-1. Sitecore has stated that support for xM1-5 and xP1-5 through the Marketplace will be coming in Q1/Q2 of 2017.