I'm aware of and have successfully used the AD module for numerous Sitecore implementations but I have a requirement to support SAML so that a non-AD based authentication provider can be used. Does Sitecore support SAML? If not, are there modules that would allow me to connect to various SSO providers?
This will be natively supported in Sitecore 9.0, according to the public roadmaps. For now a solution might be to use this module: https://github.com/BasLijten/SitecoreFederatedLogin
See my blog on how to achieve this with Sitecore 9.0: https://blog.baslijten.com/enable-federated-authentication-and-configure-auth0-as-an-identity-provider-in-sitecore-9-0/
I explained completely how this works in my blogpost on federated authentication for Sitecore 8.x: https://blog.baslijten.com/how-to-add-federated-authentication-with-sitecore-and-owin/
It might. There is a company claiming to have an option for it, but there is no direct download link and no way to easily verify the claim.
That said; you might be better off, going through something like Gigya. Not only will you get SAML, but Gigya opens up for a host of other authentication modes and options. And there is a tested and supported Gigya module for Sitecore. This also satisfies your requirement for a module that allows you to connect to various SSO providers.
I am not too familiar with the specifics of SAML myself, but here is the main entry point to Gigya/SAML documentation to give you an overview.
1) Sitecore 9+ natively supports SAML through Federated Authentication. You have to configure it and write your own provider. These links will guide you through this process for Sitecore 9:
- Usage in Sitecore - https://doc.sitecore.net/sitecore_experience_platform/developing/developing_with_sitecore/federated_authentication/using_federated_authentication_with_sitecore
- Configuration in Sitecore - https://doc.sitecore.net/sitecore_experience_platform/developing/developing_with_sitecore/federated_authentication/configure_federated_authentication
- Library to help you implement SAML (just reference it in your code) - https://www.nuget.org/packages/Owin.Security.Saml/
Great blog posts on this topic to start with (with some more links inside to explore further :-):
- https://blogs.perficient.com/sitecore/2018/06/06/federated-authentication-in-sitecore-9-part-3-implementation-of-saml2p/ Note - This one is especially useful for this question.
2) Sitecore before version 9. Use solution provided in answers by @Bas Lijten or @Mark Cassidy.
Explore also usage of https://www.shibboleth.net/ as your Claims SAML provider in this scenario. Take a look on this article to troubleshoot some known issues here -> http://jockstothecore.com/federated-authentication-with-shibboleth-2/