I'm using SIF to install Sitecore 10.2 on a scaled environment, I'm facing the issue while trying to install the CM role on the CM server, and part of the installation is to deploy the databases on a separate dedicated db server.
I've filled in the sitecore-Xp1-cm.json file and tried running it with SIF multiple times, the first part goes through then the below error shows up:
> [WebDeploy]:[Path] C:\Program Files\iis\Microsoft Web Deploy > V3\msdeploy.exe Info: Adding sitemanifest (sitemanifest). Error count: > 1. Error Code: ERROR_SMO_NEEDED_FOR_SQL_PROVIDER More Information: The SQL provider cannot run because of a missing dependency. Please make > sure that Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects (Version 10 or > higher) is installed. Learn more at: > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_SMO_NEEDED_FOR_SQL_PROVIDER. > Install-SitecoreConfiguration : Command C:\Program Files\iis\Microsoft > Web Deploy V3\msdeploy.exe returned a non-zero exit code - (-1) At > line:1 char:1 > + Install-SitecoreConfiguration -Path sitecore-XP1-cm.json > + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException > + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Install-SitecoreConfiguration
Things I have tried so far:
- ran the prerequistes.json file, which turned out to be unreliable since Web Platform Installer has been retired in December 2022 (reference answer here)
- manually reran all the installations of the prerequisites as per the official sitecore documentation, and following the recommendations of this sitecore support blog->
- ASP.NET 4.8
- Web administration PowerShell Module
- SQL PowerShell Module
- Web Deploy 3.6 (chose "Typical" setting on installation at first, uninstalled and reinstalled as "Complete"
- DacFx x86 here
- DacFX x64 (same link above)
- Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2017.
- Installed Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server
- Installed Microsoft Command Line Utilities 13 for SQL Server
- Ran "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName IIS-WebServer -All"
Everything is being run as administrator, I have SQL Server 2019 on my DB Server.
Every thread I follow online says I need to Install the latest version of SMO using Web Platform Installer, but it's been retired last year and I cannot find it anywhere,
So my question is: How can I install SMO without the retired Web Platform Installer?,and should it be installed on the CM server only or on any other servers I will need in my scaled setup? (e.g. CD, processing, even the DB server itself, etc.)?