My client needs a site which can sustain load of 3 million views a day. We asked them if they know, what a spike per second would look like but they do not know the answer to that. They said from 3 million view in a day we can assume there would be a spike where they may get close to 2.5 million hit in a second. And we need to consider this threshold level.
We currently load tested our site and it can sustain 200 request/second, so ofcourse this is huge request, but wanted to know or confirm few things?
1) if i add those many CD servers (my approx calculation says i may need to add 10 more CD servers at-least). Do i need to consider the CM to be load balanced or not?
2) I am already using akamai and SC caching. What other things i can do to improve performance?
3) Contents will be entered by 30-40 content authors every 15 minutes during that time frame, so what is the best strategy i need to consider?
4) I have load balanced SOLR and Mongo already, do i need to scale those too?
5) Can Sitecore really handle this much load?
Apologies if this is not right forum to ask such question, i would be happy to ask somewhere else or reach out someone. I am trying to get in touch with Sitecore with same questions but thought to ask to community if someone were needed to implement support this type of request in past.