I had a good debate with friends at work to decide where we should keep user profile and why?
As the discussion goes on we had these key points below which I feel our competency is up to only a certain extend. So I thought I would ask for your opinion here.
Background: We setup a Sitecore instance to serve websites for Europe continent with multiple domain name, 60% common layouts, different content, different languages. We know there are common data fields among the sites. There should be around 500K users in the core database when the system rolled out.
Custom data in new table
- Small data I/O foot print
- Easier to code for CRUD data
- Easier to write export to Excel code by put DataTable object to the existing function. The outstanding data fields get normalize before save to DB.
- I don't know when was the last time there was a problem in our SQL servers. I believe our database server is quite strong.
All in Sitecore
- Fully engaged with Sitecore
- All fields can be found in Sitecore admin UI
- The data might be usable in xDB
- The code can be complicated