The MVP nomination process is outlined on the Sitecore MVP website and it is also worth reading previous question on How to become a Sitecore MVP.
The MVP process for 2019 has changed and you must be nominated by an existing MVP or a Sitecore employee before you can apply. Once you have been nominated you will receive an invitation by email, allowing you to create an account and start the application process on the MVP website.
Existing MVPs will receive an email automatically inviting them to create an account, they do not need to be nominated by another MVP or Sitecore employee.
Due to the above change, you must be recommended by at least one existing MVP or Sitecore employee before you are invited to apply. However, you will not receive an email notification when/if you receive any further recommendations, it will however be saved. Whether "there is any value in receiving email notifications" is subjective.
If you are seeking out recommendations then the best way is to do this organically by being active within the community. The previous questions on How to be Recommended to be a Sitecore MVP and How to become a Sitecore MVP? has a lot of useful information already.
Any further recommendations can be sent in at any time up to the close of the nomination process.
Invitation and Recommendation Process
Existing MVPs can log into the site and click on the "Invite & Recommendation" tab, and then fill in the details of the person you are recommending. You will require the following details:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Motivation (Why do you believe this person is eligible for the Sitecore MVP title?)
In terms of time period of activities to list; the MVP award is an annual award and as such it would make sense that current year of activity is what is taken into account. From my experience, if you applying for your first MVP then you should list all relevant history and activity that you feel may help your nomination, but anything older than 18 months is unlikely to be considered. For repeat MVPs, I personally have taken the view that it is based on the previous 12 months activity although I may stretch this to the past 12-15 months if it is highly relevant.
My understanding is that the process has a degree of flexibility built into it so there are no hard and fast rules but continued contribution throughout the whole year is a requirement. If you feel it strengthens your nomination then you should include it.
The general process for the application:
- Seek out at least one recommendation from an existing MVP or Sitecore employee and have them invite you to apply
- Once you have been nominated, you will receive an invitation email with a link to create an account
- Fill out the application for your MVP nomination. You will receive an confirmation email that it was submitted successfully.
- Those that are recommending you should do so by logging into the application site and using the "Invite & Recommendation" tab. Remember to provide them the email address you are using in your application to make it easier. You will not receive further emails you have been recommended after the initial invitation.
- Wait whilst nominations and recommendations are reviewed during December and January
- MVPs are generally announced at the end of January. If you are awarded the MVP award then remember to wait until after the official Sitecore announcement before publicizing on social media.