I'm using Sitecore 8.2 Update 3. I created an item with a branch template, and I see that template/ID in the "Created From" area of the quick info. However, when I publish to the web database, the "Created From" goes back to "unknown."
I've republished the branch template to web and confirmed it's there, so I don't know why the ID would be disconnected going to web. We're using code that's checking if there's a specific branch ID, so this is pretty important.
We just upgraded from 8.1 Initial, and I confirmed this is working properly there. I've opened a ticket with Sitecore but wanted to see if anyone here has run into something similar.