I'd use the API if having the choice, but right now I don't have the time for a learning curve, so I'm doing direct:
UPDATE VersionedFields SET Value = 'Hypothesis Testing' WHERE Id = 'B8B9465E-1FB9-4717-BE14-0524DA1B4630'
in preparation for bigger batching to come.
However the change is not showing on the page, after browser reload and browser cache clearing.
No "Publishing" action is involved because the test site points on the Master database (so from "Content Editor" a simple Save is enough to show the change instantly on the Web site pointing on Master).
Also when I open a fresh /sitecore "Content Editor" after a SQL direct
UPDATE, this is still the old value from before my UPDATE that shows.
So I know that it's not reading directly from the DB even when starting a new Editing session, but from some cache. I had tried a:
/Sitecore => Control Panel => Database => "Rebuild search indexes"
on my local box, but it had done just bubbles.
I must not be very far and will continue to search for answers, but in the meantime if one knows how to trigger the DB change to finally show on the page, I'll take that!