After contacting Sitecore support, it seems that this is caused by a timeout in the Publishing Service which then gets passed through to the CM server.
The fix was:
Extend the timeout on the publishing service configuration
In the /config/sitecore/publishing/sc.publishing.xml, change the <CommandTimeout> element for the <sql-backend-default> ...
I faced similar issue in Sitecore 9.2. In addition to Pete's answer, you should also ensure that the below 2 configs in your xconnect instance are updated to enable tracking of anonymous users as in snapshot below (Sitecore 9 has anonymous user tracking disabled by default)-
You need to upgrade to TLS 1.2
For .Net Framework version 3.5 – 4.5.2 (Sitecore 8.2) explicit setting of TLS version is required.
Microsoft Azure is upgrading platform TLS libraries and support for
TLS 1.2 is becoming the standard default. Sitecore customers running a
Sitecore version prior to 9.0 may experience communication errors
between Azure ...
Instead of using a Powershell script, you can restart an Azure Web App using the Azure API Web Apps Restarts endpoint.
It basically involves calling up the api in this form:
You can invoke ...
We faced a similar issue recently on Sitecore 9.2 version where the rebuild was successful, but the custom index had 0 or few documents on Azure Search. After opening a case with Sitecore Support, they told us that the issue was on switching between the created temporary index (to avoid any downtime) and the index itself. We manage to solve it by:
Temporarily switching your CD environments to point to authoring service is possible by patch config.
Instead of switching you can load balance your commerce shops service and update services one by one.
With OOTB service roles load balancing make sense to CommerceShops only.
We figured out the problem. AFD url simply forwards request to the Sitecore CM webapp url. This means identity server receives request from Sitecore CM URL and not AFD url (even though we see AFD url in browser). So after user gets logged in, identity server redirects user back to Sitecore CM url only and not to AFD url. To fix this, we have added custom ...